Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Review: The Hunger Games

In Honor of the movie being released this week, I thought I would review the novel that inspired the film. I will be seeing an advanced screening in 10 hours and I can't wait!



Book Blurb

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games," a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed.

REVIEW

 


Wow. This book is just, wow. I first read it early last year after a friend told me that I just HAD to read it. I put it off for a few weeks because I was reading another series but when I finally got my hands on this book... I never wanted to let it go.

Suzanne Collins has created a world familiar enough that we can relate to it, but also completely alien to our own way of life. The main character, Katniss, is a strong teenager who fights for her family, her beliefs and for what she sees to be right and fair. I believe she is an excellent role model for young women and commend Collins for having the guts to write such a strong female lead.

You would think that the storyline of children killing each other as entertainment would be horrifying to read, and it can be, but the narrative tells the violence in such a veiled way that you know when someone has died, how they died and who killed them without the need for gushing blood or visceral descriptions.

The budding love story between Katniss and Peeta is subtle enough not to take over the story, but sweet enough to make you want them to be together while leaving a lot of romantic development for the later books in the series.

Basically, once you start reading this, you can't stop. If you haven't read this series yet (first of all, stop reading this post and start reading Hunger Games RIGHT NOW!) then I recommend making sure you buy all three books at once because once you get going you wont want to stop.



Information

The Hunger Games can be purchased from AMAZON
All about Suzanne Collins - WEBSITE

No comments:

Post a Comment